Kineshma. Sights, photos with descriptions of what to see in one day

Kineshma is a provincial town located on the banks of the Volga just 100 kilometers from Ivanovo.
The second name of the city is “Volga Switzerland”, all because the city is simply buried in green forests and surrounded by expanses of water, a beauty comparable to the Swiss Alps. The name “Kineshma” itself is translated as “safe haven”. The city of Kineshma has its own unique, incomparable atmosphere, which is expressed in everything - in culture, architecture, history of the city and the region. So, despite the small size of the city, you will have a lot of impressions from the trip. Kineshma - a variety of architectural monuments, various museums and exhibitions, squares and boulevards; the popular sanatorium named after Stanko is especially worth noting.

The article contains the TOP 17 attractions that are worth visiting in Kineshma.

Churches of Kineshma

Kineshma, whose attractions are many temples throughout the city, has ancient churches, most of which were erected in the central part, in contrast to new ones, which were built everywhere.

Kineshma Kremlin (Church of the Ascension)

The temple was built in 1779 with the money of parishioners. This is a seasonal church made of stone in ancient Slavic forms with a separate bell tower. The apse from the East and the vestibule from the West adjoin the 4-pillar, 2-light, 5-domed temple.

The building was transferred to the local history museum in 1929; in 1935, instead of the bell tower, the Chemical-Technological College was erected. After restoration work, the building almost regained its original appearance. Now the church belongs to the Russian Orthodox Church MP. Location – st. Soviet 45.

Ensemble of the Assumption and Trinity Cathedrals

The ensemble includes the Assumption and Trinity Cathedrals, the priest's dwelling and the bell tower and is located on the site of the former fortress. In 1938, the cathedrals were given over to garages, and in 1945 they were opened again. From 1964 to 1991, an art gallery was located in the Trinity Cathedral. The Assumption Cathedral was built in 1745 with donations from parishioners.

In the same way, in 1838, the Trinity Cathedral was erected according to the plan of a student of the St. Petersburg Royal Academy I. E. Efimov. Both buildings are architectural monuments. Now all the buildings have been transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. Location: st. Soviet 2.

Annunciation Church

The church was built in 1805 near the city burial site. Initially there was a separately built tower with bells, but in the 2nd half of the 19th century. the buildings were united by a large refectory. The temple is an architectural monument of early classicism with baroque elements. The building has a faceted dome; the tower is distinguished by spacious arched openings with double columns.

The most expensive relic located here was an icon depicting Mikhail Malein.

According to legend, Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich gave it to the church. Another valuable thing is an old fold with a cross. Inside it, according to the inscription, are the remains of saints, grains of the sacred tree and the clothes of the Mother of God. The building belongs to the Russian Orthodox Church. Location – st. Ryleevskaya 9.

Church of the Nativity

The building was built in 1754 and is the winter church of the Assumption parish. This is a single-apse quadrangle, there is a refectory, a pillar-shaped hipped bell tower.

The church was rebuilt and closed in the first half of the 20th century. The bell tower was broken, all the interior decoration was lost, only small fragments of 19th-century painting remained on one wall in the refectory. In 1993, the building was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church and despite the fact that the building is in disrepair, religious services are regularly held here. Location – st. Yuryevskaya 13.

Church of the Transfiguration

Construction of the church was completed in 1694. This brick, 2-story, 5-domed church with a separate bell tower was built instead of a wooden church. There are 5 altars in total: the upper floor of St. the prophet Elijah, the lower one - St. unmercenaries Damian and Cosmas, icons of the Mother of God and Michael, St. Barbarians.

The construction sponsor is L.D. Tyurin. The temple was closed no later than 1930, the domes and bell tower were broken. The building housed a warehouse. In 2000, the church was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church and restored. Location – st. Yuryevskaya 16.

Chapel on the Kineshma trade square

The chapel was erected in 1744. A massive crucifix is ​​installed inside. This is an 8-sided brick building with a tent-shaped dome, built on the mass grave of city militiamen who died on May 26, 1609 in a battle with the Poles.

Initially, there was only a wooden cross on the mass grave. For more than 300 years, a memorial service was held here on the day of the death of soldiers, they took the oath, and left for battle from this place. Now the building is owned by the Russian Orthodox Church. Location – st. Vichugskaya 92.

Ensemble of the Assumption and Trinity Cathedrals

It is located on the high bank of the Volga, where it blends extremely organically into the surrounding landscape. The ensemble includes two cathedrals (Assumption and Trinity), a bell tower and a priest's house. All structures were built with funds raised by parishioners. First, the Assumption Cathedral in 1745, then the bell tower (in 1798) - it is five-tiered and to this day is considered one of the most picturesque in the Ivanovo region.

The Trinity Cathedral was built later - in 1838. In 1938, both cathedrals were closed, but reopened in 1945. The entire ensemble is an architectural monument, but both cathedrals are active and currently belong to the Russian Orthodox Church.

Location: Sovetskaya street - 2.

Monuments and sculptures

Kineshma, whose attractions are a combination of new buildings and historical monuments, is famous for its many monuments.

House of notary Gorodetsky

The building, made of 1 floor, made of red brick, is an archaeological site with modernist fragments. The northern facade of the building is finished figuratively and turned towards the Volga.

During the period of Soviet power, the mansion housed a children's clinic; now installation work is being carried out here. Location – st. Soviet 36.

Monument to Commander Fyodor Boborykin

The monument was opened on September 22, 2012 and was built by city residents at their own expense in honor of commander Fyodor Boborykin, who led the militia in 1609. He was one of the first to repel the invaders. The authorship belongs to the sculptor Ravil Yusupov. Location – pl. Revolutions.

Temperance society tea room

The building was erected in the 2nd half of the 19th century. This is one of the non-alcoholic cafes that opened at the Holy Cross and Ascension churches. The usual menu is tea with sweets, jam or sandwiches.

The proceeds went to public needs. In 1917, the headquarters of the revolution , the Council of Working People's Deputies, was located in this place, as written on the memorial plaque installed on the left side of the building. After some time, cafes and shopping boutiques were located here. Nowadays there is a hotel complex in the teahouse.

Episodes from the films “The Ulyanov Family” and “Yakov Sverdlov” were filmed against the backdrop of the building.

Location – Volzhsky Blvd. 1a.

Mansion of the manufacturer Mindovsky

The house was built in the 2nd half of the 19th century. by order of Ivan Mindovsky, a major industrialist for his passion. The building went down in history as the “grain commission”. In 1906, unrest arose in the city, and a strike of the working class was organized due to the rise in prices of grain traders due to a bad harvest. On February 15, 1907, a “grain commission” consisting of 18–25 people moved into the house.

They exercised control over sellers, forcing them to sell bread at the set price, without inflating it. After 2 weeks, the commission was dispersed by Cossacks who arrived from Kostroma.

In 1917, the house housed the Council of Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies, and the headquarters of the Red Guard was also located here. Now the building has been transferred to the Regional Tuberculosis Dispensary. Location – st. Soviet 10.

Monument to Alexander Mikhailovich Vasilevsky

The monument was erected on July 31, 1949 in connection with the order of the Supreme Council of the Soviet Union on the erection of busts of double Heroes of the USSR in their places of birth. The author of the sculpture is E.V. Vutetich.

Alexander Vasilevsky was twice awarded the highest military order, and twice he was awarded the title of Hero of the USSR. Location - crossing of the street. Ostrovsky and st. Lenin.

Beautiful places in Kineshma - photos

Volzhsky Boulevard

He is rightfully considered the most beautiful. Locals and visitors love to relax here, especially in the summer and in good weather throughout the year. Many famous figures of science and art once walked along Volzhsky Boulevard.

Until the seventeenth century, the boulevard line represented the northern boundary of the city fortification. At that time, the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior was located here; it was burned by Polish-Lithuanian invaders at the beginning of the 17th century. Until the beginning of the 20th century, the boulevard was wooden. Later, the paths were paved here and a cast iron fence was installed.

The first civil structures made of stone are located here. This is the house of the Nobility, the local government, a mansion belonging to the manufacturer Mindovsky and others.

Recently, the Boy and the Fish fountain and the Lower Embankment were restored. Today this place is a center for cultural leisure. Holidays, theatrical performances, fairs, and competitions are held here. The most striking event taking place here is called the Volzhsky Boulevard Festival.

Monument to Fyodor Boborykin

Bobrykin was a Russian commander and an honorary citizen of the city. Under his command was the local militia during the Time of Troubles. Historians claim that under the leadership of Bobrykin, the people’s militia was for the first time able to withstand the onslaught of impostors.

The memorial structure was opened in September 2012 in honor of the 400th anniversary of the liberation of the capital by the people's militia. Local residents raised money for production.

Museums, theaters

The attractions erected in Kineshma at the beginning of the 20th century were made according to the designs of the Moscow office of Julius Burley.

Museum of felt boots

The museum was formed by the Sokolov family and officially opened on June 28, 2012. Now there are more than 150 exhibition items, including outdated wool cutting machines, tools for the production of felt boots, various types of shoes and wool products. The museum also displays the largest pair of felt boots, measuring more than 2 m, and the smallest, measuring 6 mm.

  • Location: st. Frunze 6.
  • Opening hours: 11:00 – 15:00.
  • Closed: Monday.

Sevryugov Estate

The estate was built in 1904 by order of the heirs of the manufacturer P.F. Sevryugov for 2 years. In 1918, the building was nationalized, the eldest son and copyright holder of the estate N.P. Sevryugov rejected the offer of the new government to become a manager and left for France.

In 1930, a factory club was located here, and gradually everything was plundered, the garden was cut down for firewood. In 1971, the building was registered with the state as an architectural monument; in 1986, the estate was transferred to the state protection of the city. Now the estate is in disrepair. Location: st. Socialist 54a.

Tikhomirov's House

The building of 3 floors was erected in the middle of the 19th century. The first owners were the Polenov merchants, who were involved in charity work. In 1890, after a fire, the house was purchased by merchant Ivan Grigorievich Tikhomirov, who restored it.

The 1st floor was turned over to retail boutiques, and people lived on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Now there is an art salon and shops here, the upper floors also remain residential. Location: st. Sovetskaya 1/2.

Kineshma Art and History Museum

The organization of the museum took place in 1919 at the request of the district department of the people's assembly. Here are works of fine art from the collection of N.P. Ruzsky. The museum is also the only organization in the city that deals with inbound tourism.

  • Location: st. Frunze 2.
  • Opening hours: 9:00 – 17:00.
  • Day off: no.

Museum of Military Equipment

The museum was opened in 2013. 14 exhibits are displayed in the open air - samples of military equipment of the 20th century. There is a T-34 tank, a Katyusha artillery mount and armored vehicles from different years. Location: Victory Park.

Drama Theater

On the initiative of the playwright Ostrovsky, who held the positions of justice of the peace and head of the zemstvo assembly for several years, the theater began its work in 1897.

A monument to Ostrovsky was erected near the building. Location: st. Soviet 12.

Sevryugov Estate

This estate was built in Art Nouveau style in 1904, and belonged to local manufacturers. A small park was laid out around the estate. In 1918, after the revolution, the Sevryugov weaving and spinning factory and their mansion were nationalized, and the owner and his family left for France.

Until 1922, servants lived in the estate; later there was a cultural center, clubs, art and music schools. But in the 90s, the institution was closed, and gradually both the estate and the park fell into disrepair. Now the park site is practically a real forest, and the estate is in extremely poor condition. It is not surprising that popular rumors attribute the appearance of ghosts to this abandoned place. A few years ago, a photograph appeared on the Internet in which the silhouette of a girl in a ballgown was guessed.

Location: Socialist street - 48.


The examination found that one of the city’s bridges, Kineshemsky, can dance and sway just like the Volgograd Bridge in 2010.

Kineshma Bridge

The bridge was erected in 2003, and it is considered one of the longest in Russia. Its length is 1.63 km. The bridge connects to the Kostroma-Kirov line in the Kostroma region. The attraction was opened by a representative of the State. Duma of the Russian Federation by B. Gryzlov.

  • Location: Kineshma-Zavolzhsk road.
  • Coordinates: 57.492466, 42.073765.

Nikolsky Bridge

The bridge crosses the river. Kineshemka and connects the residential areas of Logovoye, Sokolniki, Tomna and Zalesye with the main part of the city. The metal structure was built on the model of the European Eiffel bridges of the late 19th century.

The building got its name from the St. Nicholas Church, which is located nearby, but has not survived to this day.

  • Location: between Ivanovskaya street and st. Yurievetskaya.
  • Coordinates: 57.441353, 42.177590

Kuznetsky Bridge

The bridge is the border of the Volga's navigable space and has been in poor condition since the 60s. It connects the city center with the residential area of ​​Sokolniki and is capable of carrying heavier traffic than the Nikolsky Bridge. Coordinates: 57°26'24″N 42°9'15″E

Attractions in the surrounding area

Church of the Life-Giving Trinity in Šileksha

Coordinates: 57.176846, 42.530285 Address: s. Shileksha How to get there: from Kineshma by private car or bus 46 km (1 hour)

The village of Shileksha appeared in these parts thanks to the construction of the Ferapont Monastery in the 14th-15th centuries. There is a legend that the place was donated by the prince to the Tatar prince Shileksha, who came to the service of Russia. The temple was wooden then.

Later, a stone replacement was built, and the Church of the Life-Giving Trinity appeared nearby in 1800. Money for the construction of the latter was donated by the merchant Fedot Syrenkov.

In 1940, the Trinity Church was closed and a bakery was located in it. After which it was abandoned and destroyed. Today the church is not active.

Cinema "Passage"

The cinema was built at the beginning of the twentieth century. with money from the merchant Tikhomirov and called itself “Modern”. This is a rectangular elongated house, two-level. The main facade of the building, looking at the street. Ryleevskaya, decoratively decorated.

Next to the cash register there is a dressing room, then a hall located on another level. Initially, retail space was located in the lobby, and a restaurant was located on the ground floor. In 1920, the cinema was nationalized and turned into a warehouse.

Most of the interior decorations were also destroyed. Now there is a cultural and entertainment center here. Location: st. Ryleevskaya 4.

Red and White shopping arcades

The houses were built in the 19th – early 20th centuries. Red rows are so called because of the color of the bricks. The style is eclectic, with some modernist inclusions and Romanesque decor. Inside, the building is divided into retail spaces with individual entrances. Today there are shops here.

The White Rows were demolished in the mid-twentieth century. Previously they stood in front of the Reds, but now the Molodezhny square is located here. At the end of the twentieth century. the house has been partially restored. Location: st. Ryleevskaya 1.

Sanatorium named after Stanko

The sanatorium offers a variety of healing and treatment procedures, for example, “beautiful figure”, “healthy child”, “cleansing the body” and so on. The highly qualified staff of the hospital can prepare an individual program for everyone. In summer, the resort has a beach, water attractions, and you can also play tennis. In winter, here you can go tubing, ice fishing, ice skating or skiing, and play laser tag.

Volzhsky Boulevard

Kineshma (attractions exist in every district of the city) offers tourists many places for recreation and walks. Volzhskaya Alley is lined with paving stones and is located above a large cliff, with a river flowing at the foot. From here there is a good view of Kineshma, and a road bridge is visible in the distance.

In the 17th century this place was the northern part of the Kineshma fortress. Until 1920, all fences, roads and sheds were made of wood. Along the alley there are civilian buildings; in ancient times, the Church of the Transfiguration of Spasovo stood here, destroyed in 1609. Coordinates: 57.445820, 42.166437

Art Gallery

Located in an old charity house for the poor with the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The building is an architectural monument of the 19th century. The first floor is the Exhibition Hall, which houses works by contemporary masters: paintings, sculptures, installations. The “Art of the 20th Century” hall displays the works of artists who connected their work with Kineshma.

The gallery features works by many artists:

  • I. Aivazovsky;
  • K. Korovin;
  • K. Savitsky;
  • L. Turzhansky;
  • V. Bychkov;
  • L. Chernov - Plessky;
  • M. Malyutin.

Works by I. Aivazovsky “Trebizond. 1884" and K. Korovin's "Sevastopol" were restored with donations from guests. Location: st. Bolshaya Komsomolskaya 30.

Kineshma Art and History Museum

It was created on the initiative of the county department of public education in 1919, and was called a scientific and art museum. Today, the museum's exhibitions are located in buildings of three architectural monuments. The local history section is located in the Church of the Ascension of the Lord, the art gallery is in the building of the Mother of God House Church, built in 1908, and in the building of the former House of Contempt of the Poor (built in 1866).

Location: Komsomolskaya street - 30.

Exhibition “Kineshma felt boots”

Here are felt boots of different sizes, listed in the Russian book of records. You can also get acquainted with the step-by-step technology of their manufacture. The entire exhibition occupies 3 rooms; you can order a guided tour.

Kineshmansky felt boots - a landmark known throughout Russia

  • Location: st. Frunze 6.
  • Opening hours: 10:00-16:00.
  • Closed: Monday.

Where to eat

Of all the establishments in the city, the following stand out:

  • Coffee shop on Malaya Pokrovskaya. Located on the street. Lenina, 22.
  • Cafe Coffee shop Caramel. Located on the street. Lenina, 55.
  • Restaurant Russian Izba. Location – Volzhsky Blvd., 2.
  • Pivgrad. Address: st. Gogol, 2/67.
  • Peaceful Pier. Located on the river on Volzhsky Boulevard.
  • Cafe Pyramid. Located on the street. them. M. Gorky, 25.
  • Restaurant Volzhskie Zori. Located on Volzhsky Boulevard.
  • Cafe Yamato. Address: st. Maxim Gorky, 19.

According to numerous reviews from visitors to the Venice pizzeria, it is not recommended to dine here, as the prices are inflated and do not correspond to the quality.

Where to stay

There are 3 main hotels in the city:

  • Sadko Hotel. There is a bar, free WI-Fi, 24-hour reception, and a restaurant. The cost of breakfast is 120 rubles, lunch is 200 rubles, dinner is 150 rubles. The average cost of accommodation for 1 person per day is 1200 rubles. Address: st. Shchorsa 1a.

  • Peaceful Pier. The hotel is located in a house on the water, 5 min. Walking distance from the city center. Type of breakfast - continental, buffet. There is private parking and a bar. The average daily cost for 1 adult is 2,700 rubles.
  • Volga. The hotel is located on the outskirts of the city. There is a fitness center, restaurant, and free Wi-Fi. Cost per day – 900 rubles.

No less popular is the option of renting an apartment, especially if the trip is planned by a group of people:

  • Apartment on the street Red Metalist 31. Total area 60 m2, accommodates up to 6 people. Pets are allowed. Cost per day – 3500 rubles.
  • Santa Barbara. Address: st. Kasimikhenskaya 1. Pets are allowed. Price per day – 700 rub.
  • Apartment on the street Sports 2 . The total area is 36 m2, the number of guests is 2. There is a kitchen and free Wi-Fi. Cost per day – 1500 rubles.

What to bring from Kineshma as a gift

Souvenirs in the museum of felt boots for every taste, size, age and budget, original felt felt products.

What to buyWhere to buyOpening hours
Valenki-souvenirs (from 100 rub.)Museum of felt boots
St. Frunze 6
Tue — Sun.
Decorative items of applied art (from 250 rub.)Art Club
St. Soviet 1/2.
Products of folk specialists, paintings.Club in the Kineshma Art and Historical Museum
St. Komsomolskaya 30.
09:00-17:30 Tue. – Fri.
11:00 – 17:30 Sat. — Sun.

4th Friday – sanitary day.

Artistic portrait to orderPrivate gallery of artist Evgeniy Trofimov
St. them. Lenina 27
9:00-17:00 Mon.
– Fri. 9:00-13:00 Sat.

According to legend, there is another interesting attraction in Kineshma - an underground city with a railway. There is evidence that during the war, important things were brought here through secret routes for storage.

Author: Sadovskaya Alena

Article design: Mila Friedan

( 1 rating, average 5 out of 5 )
Did you like the article? Share with friends:
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
Для любых предложений по сайту: [email protected]